Friday, May 09, 2008

{Eat, Pray, Love}

I've been wanting to buy this book since a couple of months ago. I've seen it, took it up and put it back on the shelves 3 times since. Funny how I kept looking at it and wanting to buy it, but never brought it to the counter at all.

On Monday, Chiew Hoon passed me the birthday present she got for me. I tore open the wrappers and I screamed in excitement! hehe.. I didn't get the book, but the book got me! Now I know why the book always end up back in the shelves. God has His amazing ways... Thank You!

I first got attracted to the book because of its cover, and I was excited to read about the Italian part of the story. It'd be great to read about someone's encounters and life in Italy since we're planning a trip there soon.

There's this part where the author explained the beauty of how the Italian language evolved and I'm intrigued by the Italian culture. A German guy in her Italian class said that he's learning Italian because he loves the dolce vita - the sweet life. I can't wait to be there to experience the dolce vita myself. And there's this library in Rome that she went to that has a courtyard garden within it. And within the garden, there's a small fountain that makes a melancholy, lovely sound throughout the whole courtyard. Man... what a picturesque description of the dolce vita that we're about to experience. (^__^)

Synopsis
It's 3am and Elizabeth Gilbert is sobbing on the bathroom floor. She's in her thirties, she has a husband, a house and they're trying for a baby - and she doesn't want any of it. A bitter divorce and a turbulent love affair later, she emerges battered and bewildered and realises it is time to pursue her own journey in search of three things she has been missing: pleasure, devotion and balance. So she travels to Rome, where she learns Italian from handsome, brown-eyed identical twins and gains twenty-five pounds; to an ashram in India, where she finds that enlightenment entails getting up in the middle of the night to scrub the temple floor and to Bali where a toothless medicine man of indeterminate age offers her a new path to peace: simply sit still and smile. And slowly happiness begins to creep up on her.

Labels: ,

 
Posted by minimin at 10:51 PM |


0 Comments: