Thursday, January 22, 2009

{Days in Mount Alvernia}

We had opted for a single room at the time of admission. But we were told that there are A LOT of deliveries these few days.. Everyone's rushing to give birth before CNY. So we were given a double room the first night. As there wasn't another patient on the other bed, Calvin decided to stay for the night to keep me company. But he was asked to leave soon after the nurse found him sleeping in the visitor's chair in the wee hours... :( hate being left alone...

Good thing my little Gabby was pushed in every few hours for her feeds... It was like lesson time for both of us. I need to learn how to breastfeed her and she needs to learn how to latch on to me. It wasn't as painful as some friends were telling. But getting her to latch on wasn't easy. We were both first timers and we needed a whole lot of practice.

We were transferred to a deluxe suite on the 2nd day. How luxurious! They still didn't have a normal single room. And I'm really not comfortable sharing rooms with someone else, so we took the deluxe suite.

We received a lot of gifts and hampers. Some of them came with cute little soft toys. Calvin used them to decorate the little cot that our baby Gabby was in. So pretty... (^_^)

This morning, the PD came to say that Gabby has very slight jaundice and she recommended that we stay for another night so that Gabby can be put on phototherapy. We did. As she wasn't able to latch on well, I expressed my milk and got the nurses to spoon-feed her (to avoid nipple confusion).

Earlier in the afternoon, while Calvin left to bring some stuff home, I brought my bottle of expressed milk to the nursery and to take a look at my little baby. She was almost naked and only had diapers on. Her eyes were strapped on with a cover to protect them from the rays. The minute I walked close to her, she started wailing... And it broke my heart!! I called out to her and tried to calm her and comfort her with my voice... but she just kept crying and there's nothing I could do! I stood next to her feeling totally helpless. The nurses told me that she was quiet the whole time until I stepped in. It's as if she's complaining to me and asking me to hold her... The nurse suggested that I nurse her... and I tried. She suckled only for a while. She hasn't been able to suckle for long. So the nurse spoon-fed her with my expressed milk. She calmed down after the feed. But I was still sobbing... Looking at her being put under the light really wasn't easy for me, and Calvin wasn't around. Thank God that her jaundice level is actually very very mild. The PD only wanted to be safe. And guess what? About 3/4 of the babies in the nursery are on phototherapy.

Labels:

 
Posted by minimin at 5:25 PM |


0 Comments: